PAGES

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup

I have seen recipes for this soup now and again, lately more often.  I just love citrus in anything and I immediately thought I would like this soup.  I finally made it today.  I looked at many of the recipes that I found and then put my version of it together.  I thought the lemon would be tart and took the chance with a little hesitation, adding a little, then after tasting added more.  It is very well balanced and such a fresh tasting soup.  I really need to start measuring my ingredients so that I can post more of my food ideas and creations.  I'll do my best with this one....


LEMON CHICKEN ORZO SOUP


1 Organic whole chicken
4 sprigs fresh parsley
2 carrots, cut in 1 inch pieces
2 tsp. kosher salt
Generous amount of freshly ground black pepper

Place the chicken in a stock pot and add enough water to cover the chicken.  Add the parsley, carrot and salt and pepper.  Bring to a boil and cover letting the water rumble a bit for an hour.
Strain, keeping the broth and carrots.  Let the chicken cool.  When cool, pull all the meat off and add to the broth.

3 Tblsp butter
1 small onion diced
2 peeled diced carrots
2 tsp freshly chopped garlic
1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
8 fresh basil leaves chopped
2 cups fresh spinach
1 cup orzo
3 Tblsp fresh lemon juice
rind of one lemon, grated

diced fresh tomato and green scallions ~ optional

Put the butter in the stock pot along with the onion, carrot and parsley.  Heat over medium heat for 5-10 minutes.  Add the fresh garlic, basil leaves and simmer for another 5 minutes.  Add the broth and chicken to this and heat to a soft boil.  Add the lemon, lemon juice, spinach and basil.  Continue cooking on medium heat for about 15 minutes.  Serve with fresh diced tomato and scallions on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate your comment and will get back to you~